I love fruity and creamy desserts, and I was originally inspired to make this dessert as a strawberry and cream version. Unfortunately when it came to dinner party time I didn’t have any strawberries to hand and so decided to give it a go with apple and blackberries instead – a success if I do say so myself, the only problem was that the guests asked for seconds and I’d only made enough for one each!
350ml of double cream
125ml of full fat milk
1 vanilla pod
6 lemon jelly cubes
1 large cooking apple, peeled and roughly chopped
20 ripe blackberry’s
2 sheets of gelatine
1 dessert spoon of caster sugar
3 tablespoons water
4 x small metal ramekins
– serves 4 –
1. Add the cooking apple, blackberries, water and sugar to a small saucepan and cook on a low simmer until the apple has turned to mush.
2. Add the lemon jelly cubes to the saucepan and stir until melted.
3. Divide the mixture between the 4 ramekins and place into the fridge for 1 hour
4. Place the gelatine strips into a bowl of cold water and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
5. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add into a small saucepan with the milk and cream. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Ring out the gelatine strips and add them to the saucepan stir until the strips have melted into the mixture.
7. Leave the mixture to cool for 15 minutes
8. Stir the mixture and pour into the ramekins that contain the apple and blackberry mixture. Return to the fridge for approx 3 hours or until set.
9. When ready to serve, run the base of the ramekins under a hot tap and then tap onto a plate to release.