This recipe is originally from Nigella Lawson but I’ve recommended changing the milk to Baileys for a special twist. Obviously you could use milk if you’d prefer, but the Baileys gives such a rich luxurious taste that I’d recommend you try it – at least once!
For the cake:
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 125ml of Baileys (or Milk if you’d prefer)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g chopped dates
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- Approx. 25g unsalted butter in little blobs
- 500ml boiling water
– serves 5 to 6 –
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5 and butter a large oven-proof pudding dish
- Add all of the cake ingredients (except for the dates) to a mixing bowl and then well combined add the dates and mix in.
- Transfer the mixture to the pudding dish
- Sprinkle over the 200g dark muscovado sugar and dot with the butter blobs. Pour over the boiling water, pop in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. The top of the pudding should be springy and spongy when it’s cooked (test with a skewer to ensure the mixture is cooked) underneath, the butter, dark muscovado sugar and boiling water will have turned into a rich, sticky sauce.
Delicious served with hot vanilla custard.