I’m taking part in Meat Free Week, and also doing the 5:2 diet – “arrrggghhhh” was my first instinct when opening up the fridge to try and get some inspiration for dinner. I got to playing, and the end result was actually very tasty! So, I present to you my black bean, cabbage and onion bake.
1 large white onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
4 tablespoons water
1 x 400g tin of black beans in water (drained)
handful fresh chopped coriander
Half a teaspoon of smoked paprika
Half a white cabbage, roughly chopped
Sea salt & ground black pepper to season
2 medium eggs (beaten)
– serves 2 as a main (347 calories per serving) or 4 as a side dish (173 calories per serving) –
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a small saucepan, add the garlic and half of the onion along with the 2 tablespoons of water to a medium heat on the hob. Stir and cook until softened.
3. Drain and add the black beans, coriander, paprika and seasoning. Leave to cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. In a saute pan, add the rest of the onions, cabbage, 2 tablespoons of water, salt and pepper – stir and cover with a tight lid, leaving on a medium heat for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally.
5. Stir together the cabbage and bean mixtures, check for seasoning and transfer for a casserole dish patting and pressing down the mixture so that it fits snuggly in the dish.
6. Beat the eggs, then evenly pour over the top of the cassrole dish, spreading it to cover the top of the cabbage and bean mix.
8. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes or until the egg has completely cooked and gone golden.
Serve and enjoy! 🙂