I’ve been wanting to get a shallow casserole dish that can go from hob to oven for a good few years now but the prices have always put me off…until I went in to TKMaxx and saw this absolute beauty for just £39.99. It’s heavy, easy to clean and will be my main pan for everything from sautéing, casseroling and even frying eggs in. Here’s my recipe for the very first dish I cooked in it – a simple squid and pea risotto.
1 tablespoon olive oil
one large onion finely chopped
8 medium sized squid tubes & tentacles (cleaned & roughly chopped in to 2 cm pieces with tentacles kept whole)
1 mug of aborio risotto rice
approx 500ml boiling water
1 mug of frozen peas
Sea salt & ground black pepper
Handful well chopped fresh parsley
1 whole lemon
– serves 2 –
1. Warm a shallow pan on a medium heat and add the olive oil and onions until soft (but not coloured)
2. Add the squid and cook for 2 minutes
3. Add in the rice, stock pot and 200ml of the water. Stir well then pop on the lid. Check after 3 minutes and add more water a bit at a time until the rice is cooked and all water has been absorbed.
4. Add in the peas, seasoning and fresh parsley, replace the lid and cook for a final 2 minutes.
5. Remove the lid, squeeze in half of the juice from the lemon, stir well then serve with a wedge of lemon for each person.