It’s coming to the end of the blackberry season here in the UK and what better way to keep enjoying them than to preserve them in a delicious jam? As the weather gets a little chillier, I’m looking to spices for a touch of warmth so here I’ve included star anise. Delicious served on warm homemade cinnamon and sultana ciabatta with lashings of real butter.
500g pears (peeled, cored and roughly chopped – weight is for prepared fruit)
500g granulated sugar
1 dried star anise
1. Add the fruit, sugar and star anise to a large deep steel pan and place on the hob on a very low heat
2. Stir frequently for 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the fruits have released their juice
3. Leave on a low simmer for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes to ensure the fruits don’t stick to the bottom of the pan
4. Take a potato masher and roughly mash the fruits to a pulp – be careful when doing this as the mixture is scalding hot!
5. Raise the temperature for a final 2 minutes to a rapid boil – ensuring nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan
6. Remove from the heat, leave to call for a few minutes and then transfer to sterilised jars with secure lids
7. Label & leave to cool before storing in a dark cool place. Once opened store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks