As the evenings are getting chillier and darker, I turn to comfort food to keep me sane. This is a perfect winter warmer that’s quick and simple to make after a hard day at work. Serve it with some brown rice and a good dollop of greek yoghurt, or simply with a big bowl of broccoli.
1 white onion roughly chopped
1 tin anchovies in olive oil – finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
400g lamb mince
1 free range egg
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon sugar
sea salt & ground black pepper
1. Drain the oil from the tinned anchovies in to a wide pan and gently soften the onions on a low heat.
2. Add the anchovies and continue to cook until they’ve melted in to the oil.
3. Add the tin of tomatoes, then fill the tin to half with water and add to the pan along with the teaspoon of sugar. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a bowl mix together the garlic, rosemary, egg and lamb mince. Give it all a big squelching with your hands, seasoning as you go.
5. One the mince is completely mixed with all of the added ingredients, roll in to approximately 12 small balls.
6. Gently place the meatballs in to the pan of tomatoey sauce, pop the lid back on and leave to simmer for 10 minute.
7. Gently turn the meatballs so and replace the lid for a further 5 minutes.
8. Remove the lid and continue to simmer for a final 5 minutes.
9. Serve with your rice, broccoli or pasta.