A simple but impressive little dinner party number. I’ve chosen to fill the tortellini with crab here, but you could fill it with all sorts of things such as ricotta and spinach, anchovy garlic and tomato, or pea and ham.
100g ’00’ flour
2 free range eggs
100g 50/50 crab meat (a mix of brown and white)
– makes 14 tortellini –
1. Mix the flour with 1 egg and knead until well mixed.
2. Shape in to a ball, wrap with cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour
3. Remove the cling film and then pass the pasta through the lowest setting on a pasta machine three times
4. Slowly work your way up the settings until you have a nice thin pasta
5. Taking a glass or round cutter, cut our circles
6. Beat an egg and with a pastry brush, lightly coat one half of the circles
7. take half a teaspoon of the crab mixture and place it in the middle of the pasta rounds
8. Following the steps above, fold the round in half with the crab tucked inside, fold in half again, then turn over and pull the bottom corners together with a light pinch
9. When all of the tortellini are made, pop them in to boiling water for 2 minutes, remove and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some ground black pepper, or add to this pea, leek and crab soup recipe.