The first of the Christmas snow is coming down, and at last it feels like the festive season has started, so we’re cooking up some condiments to accompany our Turkey dinner in advance of next Sundays big day. This is so quick and simple to make, and will keep sealed in the jar for up to three months… great with cold meats on Boxing day as well in a nice toasted brie & cranberry sauce ciabatta.
300g fresh cranberries
200g granulated sugar
zest of one orange
Juice of half an orange
1 whole star anise
– makes 2 large jars –
1. Place all ingredients in to a large saucepan and simmer slowly on a low heat.
2. Stir frequently, and ensure that all of the sugar has dissolved.
3. Turn the heat up to a rapid boil, and using a potato masher, squash all of the cranberries so that they’re soft and roughly broken up.
4. Boil on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
5. Transfer in to clean, sterilised jam jars and secure with a tight lid. Date, label and store in a dry dark place until needed.
6. Once opened, store in the fridge for up to 7 days.