This is a great summer alternative to a Sunday roast. Packed with flavour and perfect, served with a crisp salad and new potatoes.
One whole large free range chicken
1 large lemon (cut into quarters)
2 tablespoons butter
Handful fresh tarragon finely chopped
two large slices of fresh ginger
1 stick of fresh lemon grass
1 tablespoon olive oil
seasalt and ground black pepper
1. Add the butter and tarragon into a bowl and mush together
2. carefully slide a knife between the skin and meat of the chicken, and then push underneath the skin the butter and tarragon. Massage the butter down so that it’s evenly spread under the skin of the chicken.
3. Slice lengthways, the lemon grass and add this into the cavity of the chicken, along with the lemon wedges and slices of ginger
4. Rub the olive oil into the skin of the chicken and season well.
5. Place the chicken into a roasting tin and pop in the oven at gas mark 6 for 1 hour (or until juices run clear and the skin is nice and crispy).