In English, this means ‘steak with herbs’. I chose to do this as a main course for my Come Dine with Me because you can prepare everything ahead, it’s really quick to cook and because it uses fillet streak served on a platter, it feels a bit special!
2 cloves of garlic
3 sprigs of rosemary
a small handful of sage leaves
a few sprigs of thyme
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons good olive oil
the juice of half a lemon
400g fillet steak (or lean steak if you want to go for a cheaper option)
mixed lettuce leaves
– serves 4 –
1. Remove the rosemary from its stalk and finely chop the leaves together with the garlic, sage and thyme.
2. Add the herbs to a bowl along with the olive oil, vinegar and the Knorr chicken stock cube, and mix together with your fingers until the cube has dissolved in the oil.
3. Coat the steak fillets in the mixture, pace in the bowl and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to marinate before cooking.
4. When ready to serve, season the steaks with salt and pepper, and place onto a hot griddle pan. Cook until desired (i.e. 2 minutes each side for medium/rare).
5. Remove from the griddle pan and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
6. Whilst the meat is resting, pour the lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper over the lettuce leaves, giving a good toss to coat all leaves
7. Spread the coated leaves out onto a platter and then thinly slice the steaks and lay out over the lettuce.
8. Place in the middle of the table with a bowl of sauteed potatoes and a bowl of mixed tomatoes, green beans, onions and black olives tossed in lemon and olive oil.