Just one of the desserts that I made for my Come Dine with Me menu. It was the most popular of the two on offer and is impressive and simple to make.
- 5 Eggs
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 4 Lemons, zest and juice
- 250ml Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar, to serve
- 2 tbsp limoncello
- 1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry (roll again to half the thickness)
- Grease proof paper
- – serves 6 –
1. Beat the eggs and sugar together until combined. Beat in the lemon zest and juice, along with the limoncello and then whisk in the cream. Chill for 1 hour.
2. Grease a 9 inch tin, and lay out the pastry so that it’s snuggly fitted into the tin. Cut some grease proof paper, and lay out over the pastry. Pour on top some dried butter beans and bake in a pre-heated oven for ten minutes on gasmark 5.
3. Remove the tin from the oven, pour away the beans (save for another time!) and remove the baking paper. Pop the pastry back into the oven for a further ten minutes, or until it’s looking lightly browned.
3. Reduce the oven to gasmark 1. Place the tart tin on a baking tray. Pour in the lemon filling, being careful not to spill over the edges. Bake for 45 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes then transfer to the fridgt and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
4. To serve, dust with icing sugar a sprinkle of lemon zest and a glass of iced limoncello – add a sparkler for a special Come Dine with Me touch!