Perfect for cooking before Christmas and then eating cold with hot mashed potato and pickles.
1 x large Unsmoked ham joint (off the bone)
3 tablespoons English mustard
4 tablespoons clear honey
2 x bay leaves
1/2 litre coca cola
300 ml pineapple juice
small handful of whole black peppercorns
1. Lightly score your ham in a criss cross shape with a sharp knife.
2. Take a large saucepan and put in it your ham, the coca cola, pineapple juice, peppercorns and bayleafs and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes (the ham should be completely covered by the liquids – if not, add in more coca cola.
3. Remove the ham from the saucepan, discarding of the peppercorns, bayleaves and fluid and place the ham into a baking dish. Leave to cool for ten minutes and then pour away any juices that have seeped out.
4. Pre-heat the oven to gasmark 6
5. Coat the ham in mustard – I use my hands to ensure that it gets right into all of the gaps! then drizzle the honey over the ham. (If you do this without having left the ham to cook first, the mustard and honey will just drip straight off of the ham and sit in a liquid form at the bottom of the baking dish!).
6. Put the ham into the oven on a middle shelf and cook for the time outlined on your packaging (this will be based upon the weight of the ham). As a guide, for a ham that weighs 5 to 7 lbs, cook for 1 3/4 hour to 2 1/4 hours.
7. After the cooking time, remove the ham from the oven and either enjoy hot with some egg and chips, or cold with mash potato and some lovely pickles.