It’s becoming harder to source skate in Britain due to it’s sustainability. If you can’t get hold of skate for this dish or would prefer to use something that is more sustainable then any type of white fish will work just as well.
2 medium sized skate wings
4 teaspoons of capers
1 small chorizo sausage, cut into chunky cubes
1 fresh lemon
A knob of butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
seasoning (ground black pepper and seasalt)
– serves 2-
1. Heat two frying pans each with half of the olive oil and butter
2. Place one skate into each of the frying pans and season well. Leave to cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes
3. Turn the skate wings over and add the chorizo and capers to the pans (divide the ingredients so that you have half in each pan)
4. leave the skate to cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and the chorizo has crisped and released its oil
5. Lift the skate onto your serving plates and pour some of the chorizo flavoured oil, chorizo and capers over the top of the skate. Squeeze over a wedge of lemon and serve with a large wedge on the side.
Great served with hot new potatoes, a fresh salad and some garlic aoili.