Squid and Pork Balls
150g minced pork
100g squid tubes (cleaned and roughly chopped)
The yolk of 1 egg
Large handful of parsley
Half of a teaspoon of mild chili powder
Large handful of corriander
Seasoning (Sea salt and cracked black pepper)
For the dipping sauce
Tablespoon of plain flour
Small pinch of saffron
75ml of fish stock
small knob of butter
– makes approx 12 balls –
1. blitz your squid into a fine mush, and add to the bowl your pork mince, egg yolk, herbs and seasoning. Mix everything together and then pop the bowl into the fridge for 2 minutes.
2. Make your sauce – add to your fish stock, a pinch of saffron and leave to one side. Take a small saucepan and on a medium heat, add your flour and and then slowly, pour and stir in your fish stock and saffron. Keep adding the fluid until it’s all used and there are no lumps in your sauce. Turn the heat up slightly and keep stirring until the sauce has thickened. Add in your knob of butter, and if needed, add more or less fluid or flour in order to achieve your preferred consistency.
3. Place a frying pan with a little oil onto a hight heat, remove your mixture from the fridge, and taking small handfuls of the mixture, roll into little balls, and then pop into the hot oil. Once all of the mixture has been used, lower the hob temperature to a medium heat and cook for approx 10 minutes, carefully turning the balls so that they have a nice even brown colour all the way around. (to check if they’re cooked all the way through, cut one of the balls in half and test).
4. Once cooked, remove the pork and squid balls from the frying pan and leave to rest on a plate with some kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil.
5. Spoon your dipping sauce into a small bowl and place your pork and squid balls on a clean plate for serving.