The inspiration for this dish came from watching the new TV series ‘Chinese cooking made easy’. I’ve adapted the dish to use a slightly cheaper cut of meat and to include ingredients that you’re likely to have in your cupboard rather than having to take a trip to China town or a specialist store.
A really great, healthy alternative to a take away.
For the pork
3 table spoons sesame seeds
1 table spoon crushed dried chillies
1 large pork fillet
2 table spoons vegetable oil
Seasoning (ground black pepper & sea salt)
For the sweet and sour sauce
125g tinned pineapple chunks, in natural juice (keep the juice!)
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Good splash of light soy sauce (to taste – use as you would salt)
3 table spoons dry sherry
Ground black pepper
Egg fried rice
(simply boil some rice, then pop into a wok with either frozen peas or soya beans, vegetable oil, 3 eggs and 6 roughly chopped spring onions. Mix together until cooked through and then it’s ready to serve).
1. For the pork, place the sesame seeds onto a baking tray and pop into the oven on a high heat for 3-5 minutes (lightly browned, not burnt!), Take some cling film and pour the toasted sesame seeds out onto it, adding the crushed chilli and pepper and then roll the pork fillet up in the cling film so that it’s completely covered in the sesame seeds.
2. Pop on a wok with the vegetable oil and then sear the pork so that it’s nicely browned all the way around. Remove the pork and then slice it into approx 1cm thick slices. Add the slices back into the wok and keep turning until it’s cooked through. Whilst it’s cooking, you can begin your sauce.
3. For the sweet and sour sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
4. Remove the pork from the wok and plate this up whilst you pour the sauce into the wok and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to a thicker sauce.
5. Pour the sweet and sour sauce al over the pork and then add to the dish your egg fried rice.
Much better than a take away!
One thought on “Sweet & sour pork with egg fried rice”
I found your site on technorati and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!