We all love a Spanish tortilla but the traditional recipe uses up so many eggs and takes so long to cook, so here’s a shortened version that has a few extra added ingredients…
2 x large white potatoes
100g cubed pancetta
A handful of fresh mint (finely chopped)
half a cup of peas
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
100g button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
5 large free range eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
Seasoning (sea salt and ground black pepper)
– serves two-
1. Put a small saucepan of water on to boil and slice the potatoes into approx half a centimeter thick round slices. pop them in the water to boil until they feel soft (but not so soft that they’ll break up).
2. Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the onion, pancetta, mushrooms and fry until slightly brown and soft. Pour the mixture out onto a plate and leave to one side.
3. Take half of your boiled, sliced potatoes and layer them along the bottom of the frying pan. Take half of your onion and pancetta mix and evenly scatter it ontop of the potatoes. Whisk your 4 eggs into a bowl and pour half of the mixture into the frying pan. Leave to cook until you can just see some of the mixture in the middle of the fying pan unset.
4. Pop the frying pan under a grill for approx 2-3 minutes, or until the top of the tortilla looks cooked.
5. Dish up onto a plate and then repeat again with the remaining ingredients to create your second tortilla.
Great served with a simple tomato and onion salad.