Serves: 4 people
Prep & cooking time: Approx 40 minutes
1 x chorizo sausage
1 x large white onion
1 x yellow pepper
1 x green pepper
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 x wine glass of white wine
1 x chicken stock cube
1 tablespoon Knorr fish buillon
3 tablespoons of paprika
1 large pinch of saffron
200g peeled prawns
6 large squid tubes (preferably with tentacles)
8 x green-lip mussels
4 x uncooked kingprawns
4 x large scallops
seasoning – salt and pepper
Ideally a large paella pan but if you don’t have this you may need to split the ingredients in half and cook in two frying pans as the paella rice expands and will become too much to fit into one!
1. Heat your stock and add to it a large pinch of saffron.
2. Pour the oil into the pan and once heated through, add the onions, peppers and chopped chorizo. Stir for approx 5 minutes, or until the onions and peppers are nicely softened and the chorizo has released its oil
2. Add your paella rice to the pan and stir for approx two minutes to allow the rice to soak up any juices and crack slightly.
3. Pour in the stock with saffron little by little – you want to ensure that the rice is just covered by the liquid but not swimming in it. Once all liquid has been soaked up, add the next lot and so on until all of the liquid has gone.
4. At this point, if you wanted to prepare in advance to a dinner party, you could remove the pan from the heat and cover with tin foil until you’re ready to cook for your guests.
5. When ready to eat, add the selection of shellfish to the paella mixture with the wine and cook through until all of the wine has been absorbed and the fish cooked through (approx 10-15 minutes)